Saturday, April 13, 2013

Back in Haiti


Last week I went back home to Pittsburgh for about six days, mainly to raise money to buy more goats and cows for the mission here and pick up a few supplies for one of the computer systems being installed here. The trip was very successful over all, I got over twenty orders for goats and cows, and I have a set of supplies to be used at the school here. I had a wonderful time being home and it gave me a very interesting outlook on my time in Haiti and the personal development I have made as a person since I committed to this project almost a year ago.

I have made some big changes and some small ones. I think I am a better driver, though I am sure there are some who will contend with me on that. I am used to driving on dirt roads and now that I have paved roads I feel like I have more control of the car. I will still sometimes let my eyes wander when they should be focused on the cars around me. I have not lost any tastes for anything. I still love greasy food and soda, but I have developed a better ability to restrict how much I indulge when I go out to eat.

One of the changes that I am very happy to have made is that I feel much more confident in myself. There are a few reasons for this, the first being that I am very proud to tell people about my work in Haiti. When I left for Haiti last September I did not have a whole lot to feel good about. My grades from Robert Morris weren’t anything special, I didn’t have any distinct professional achievements, and I had just come off of a very difficult few months trying to find a job. Now not only have I had been relatively successful in Haiti and my grades at Robert Morris have improved, but I have something that really excites focus on. When I was struggling to find a job before I went to Haiti, all I could think about were my Robert Morris classes that I was struggling to complete and the fact that I didn’t have a job. Now I have the goats that I am going to give away to think about. I am going to think about the potential of the students going through the vocational program. Thinking about the goats we’re giving away doesn’t make me think about how great I am, but just about the program in general. My focus has shifted away from myself, which is great!

I am back, and I would love to write more but I am really tired. I am currently in the process of putting together the e-book so I want to try to write something new everyday, but its not easy after 12 hours in transit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment