Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Book!


I have some exciting news- I am going to publish a short book on Haiti! I had a wonderful conversation with a publisher today and he wants to work with me on a small ebook. We have a few titles we are working with, but the title we are tentatively using for now is The Trouble with Candy in Haiti.

The book will be a short ebook, about 40-60 pages, and it will be a collection of the lessons I learned during my time in Haiti. Some of the chapters in the book will be straightforward, like why giving candy away to kids can be a bad idea. Some of the chapters will be more theoretical, like the differences in planning a project in the developing world where labor is very cheap and supplies are more expensive. The book will be a combination of my economics background, my technical knowledge applied to the developing world, and some of the more entertaining stories I have from my time in Haiti. I will draw from my blog posts as well as some of the other newer ideas.

I need your help. Since some of the book is going to be made up of old blog posts, I would love to get your thoughts on which blog posts I should use? Which blog posts made you think? Which blog posts really taught you something new and interesting about Haiti? I would love to know which blog posts you enjoyed and which blog posts you thought were less than thrilling. Were there any blog posts that might have changed your opinion on some topic? Maybe a blog post that caused you to turn to the books and do a little more research?

I will have more news in the coming days but I would love to get your suggestions on the blog posts you most enjoyed. You can e-mail me (vancleve.raymond@gmail.com) or you can simply write in the comment box.

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Hi from snowy MN! Be sure to include in the book your thoughts on how many wells are in disrepair when good-intentioned people send money to have a new well drilled. That was an eye-opener, since I have recently come across someone raising money for a well in Africa. I presume they have the same repair issue there.

    I also found the solar bakery oven really interesting- but probably because we have engineers in the family. :)

    Your early post about the auto accident which led to commentary about auto insurance and infrastructure was another story that should be told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jean! I will certainly incorporate all of this into the book!!

    ReplyDelete