Friday, April 5, 2013

My Party


Today the La Croix community came together for a celebration for Shelly and me. It was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. There were probably about 70 or so people there. Today is Shelly’s last day here (I am schedule to go home for good on May 15th) and everyone came out to show their gratitude for the work Shelly and I have done.

I was truly honored and humbled by everyone’s kindness. There were students I had tutored in the English club, students of the vocational program, teachers, staff at the mission, and members of the community. I was given one of the nicest gifts from Dufor, a man who I helped tutor in English. Altenor, the superintendent spoke on behalf of my work and was incredibly kind and generous about the work I have done. We had cake and soda and I had the much needed opportunity to thank everyone with whom I have worked in the past seven months. I got pictures with all of my Haitian friends and I had a chance to express my gratitude for everyone’s sincere love and kindness.

I felt overwhelmed by the Haitians kindness. There was a small student band that played and a small acapella group that sang. I feel truly blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment